• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

TMJ jaw cracking anyone have it ?

jake99

Bluelighter
Hey i have this TMJ issue , where my jaw constanly is "cracking or popping" Now have read some stuff about this online , and apparently there is no cure for it , and not even really much treatment either. It has me a little worried since its a everyday thing, and for some reason i notice it more now . although i think its been awhile ive had it now.........I am always extremly stressed and nervous so i wonder if that is making it worse..............So if anyone else has this , i'd love to hear from you . It seems pointless to go to a doctor just for this reason , although i prob will talk to the dentist when i go next time
thanks guys

I also have TMJ disorder, and while they claim it's acute, it's been every single day of my life for about 12 years now. Its the worst when my jaw pops out of place, my dentist showed me how to pop it back in. I would talk to your dentist, they have special mouth guards for you to wear at night to prevent grinding and clenching, which are supposed to help. I had a hard time tolerating them, however, and the custom-fit ones are expensive. My chiropractor does treatment for it, but I haven't done it yet so I can't comment on that. I went to the orthodontist to get the mouthguard I did have, and there are many orthodontists out there who treat TMJ. As you know, there's no cure and unfortunately this shit costs money (I've never met anyone with decent dental insurance in the US).

Here are some living with TMJ tips I've been told/read about/have found useful over the years:
- don't chew gum, it's extremely irritating and will make your jaw sore.
- when you are driving/at the computer/doing things where you may normally clench your teeth, try to hold your mouth open a bit. This takes a little practice, since the movements tend to be subconscious, but it does help.
- if you are really hurting, an anti-inflammatory does wonders, NSAIDs in particular --- personally I prefer ibuprofen.
- avoid eating large sandwiches/burgers and other foods where you have to fully extend your jaw...I know this leads to mine popping out of place and honestly, it hurts like fuck when it happens.

I'll add more to this if I think of anything else...stress and anxiety definitely make it MUCH worse, since you are clenching your teeth more and irritating the TMJ joint by doing so.

Mine doesnt sound as bad as yours but it is still pretty annoying . all day every day . its just the popping thing when i open my mouth , or if i open it and put my finger over the little muscle in front of your ear , i can feel it move there .....................so people can have this their whole lives ? im assuming its gotten worse because im always extremly stressed..........but i think even when i was on benzis for few days , i still had it , i probably just didnt notice as much .
wonder what dentist will tell me when i ask her

Hmm I'm prescribed alprazolam and when I take it, it doesn't really help at all. And yeah, if you can feel that muscle/joint "popping" its TMJ...even if yours is not as severe, those tips should help it be less annoying. It's pretty common, and your dentist will most likely suggest a mouthguard for wearing while sleeping. For most people, it will sort of "act up" and go away...I didn't develop it until I had braces for some odd reason, and I don't think there's any solid cause for it either. Stress is definitely a huge factor though.

The xanax isn't for it, I was just saying that when I do take xanax it doesn't make it any better or worse.

meh, i never had that shit until i went to get the laser teeth whitening, and i had to open my mouth wide for an hour straight. ever since then, my jaw pops all the damn time

Yeah. I have it BAD. My jaw comes completely out of the socket on my left side and partially out on the right. Both joints crack and pop extremely loudly and I can't even fully open my mouth without dislocating my jaw. It sucks. :(

Since i got my mouth piece and wear it when i sleep and sometime around my house if it hurt bad at the start it hardly ever bothers me any more.

It lasted a about a month for me. I never went to a doctor for it, all I would do was use my hands to pry my jaw wide open... I have no idea if this helped, but after a month it has not returned.

Mine has been going on for 18 years now... :( and getting progressively worse.

I went to a doctor for it when I was 16 or something and they told me there wasn't anything they could do.

Like so many other issues involving soft tissues, viscous massage might just be the right cue. The times when a joint problem arose that didn't respond to message is few and far between, personally speaking.

It's a pain to deal with. I found the guard didn't help at all. When I am stressed I find the jaw locked in all sorts of weird positions. I'm a terrible grinder too, which has given me constant headaches. I'm all for some time of permenant cure although massages have helped temporarily.

MNINT, did you ever see a chiropractor for it? You sound like you have it even worse than I do, so any tips at all would be awesome. And jake, I haven't found any meds that help, it's always there in the background, you just learn to ignore it a majority of the time over time.

No, I have never been able to see a chiro, but I'd love to if I could afford it, which I can't. :( I honestly think it would help me though, if it was a good Chiro who I felt a good energy from. Some sort of Chiro/massage combo would probably help me.

Oh, to be rich.

i had problems with my jaw cracking for years and years, until last year it finally started locking and misaligning, and then i'd take some pain meds and slowly pry it open, until finally it locked up for 3-4 weeks straight and then randomly got better, and now just hurts from use but doesnt lock anymore.